Adamstown Area Library
Youth Services Librarian/Assistant Director
Adamstown Area Library, in Adamstown Pennsylvania, is seeking an enthusiastic, forward-thinking and community oriented leader for a Youth Services Librarian and Assistant Library Director position.
The Youth Services Librarian provides comprehensive library services for children from birth through teen years, parents, caregivers, and the community organizations serving them. The successful candidate will bring a dedication to library programming to increase access to quality services to youth and their families; possess strong networking and collaborative skills; and have vision for programs that shape the future of our service area residents from birth through teen years.
The Assistant Library Director position fosters innovation and teamwork with staff members, fosters life-long learning, requires prior fundraising and grant writing experience, encourages and implements technological advances in the library, and assists the Director with various responsibilities as needed.
This position requires a Master of Library Science degree from an accredited American Library Association (ALA) Institution with supervisory experience in a library setting. Strong leadership and customer service skills, solid understanding of Pennsylvania Learning Standards and excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
Position is full-time. Some weekend and evening hours may be required. Please see attached job description for details.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Familiarity with children/teen literature, resources, and technology
- Collection Development, Collection Maintenance, and Cataloging
- Programs and outreach, including Summer Reading
- Liaison to school and community organizations
- Guide volunteers and other staff to support youth services activities
- Create displays and maintain children, family, and teen areas of library, to include creation of flyers, posters, bookmarks, and brochures in print and digital formats
- Regular circulation/reference service for patrons of all ages which includes greeting and directing patrons to appropriate resources, reader’s advisory, technology assistance, shelving and shelf-reading, checking in and out library material, registering patrons for library cards, opening/closing activities, and a focus on excellent customer service
- Performs other related duties as required
- MLS and library experience preferred
- Ability to work with the public, independently, and as part of a team with a pleasant and professional approach; strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong computer and other related technology skills, including Sierra Circulation, MS Office, WordPress, social media, and library databases/resources/software
- Youth planning experience; proven organizational and planning skills, including the ability to perform multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
- Be a partner to the local school district librarians to support, promote, and bring programs into the schools
- Support local teachers by scheduling events, planning story times, book talks, and supplying materials.
- Assist young patrons with reader advisory
- Travel for outreach, meetings, and training/workshops for Continuing Education credits
- Physical ability to bend, reach, lift (25+ lbs.), and stand for periods of time; the position requires frequent walking, sitting, crawling and kneeling
- Occasionally works the circulation desk to provide services to the general public
- Prepare displays and maintain a neat and orderly presentation of materials in the children’s area, as well as the JUV & YA fiction areas
- We are a Family Place library, and Family Place training would be required
- Assist all patrons with technology and library equipment as needed
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check, and FBI fingerprint based background check are required upon offer of employment.
Schedule: Position is full-time. Some weekend and evening hours may be required.
Salary: Compensation is based on experience.
Please send letter of interest, resume, salary requirement, and references by mail or email to:
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail.
Kathy Thren, Library Director
Adamstown Area Library
PO Box 356
Adamstown, PA 19501
Manheim Community Library
Community Relations Coordinator (Part Time)
Manheim Community Library seeks a part-time (20 hours per week) Community Relations Coordinator to coordinate Library publicity and provide leadership for major development activities. Duties include preparing and distributing promotional materials; maintaining the Library’s online presence and websites; as well as managing the donor database, mailing lists and recognition activities. Assist the Trustees in preparing for major development campaigns including creation of direct mailings and benefit events. Assist in preparation of grant proposals. Coordinate public relations activities with the idea of helping the Library grow into a strong vital community resource.
Training and experience in marketing, publicity, donor cultivation and event planning is desirable. Excellent written and oral communication skills along with strong organizational skills. Proficient use of technology and social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Word Press, Mail Chimp) required. To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and a sample event flyer to email@example.com. First consideration will be given to applicants who apply by Monday, July 31, 2017.
Milanof-Schock Library (Mount Joy)
Library Operations Coordinator
Are you civic minded? Do you love managing projects from start to finish? Milanof-Schock Public Library in Mount Joy, PA seeks a part-time (28 hour/week) Operations Coordinator. A committed customer service, detail oriented, tech-savvy individual is needed to help lead our team. As the chief assistant to the Executive Director, the Operations Coordinator has many diverse responsibilities including the development of adult services programming, assisting in fundraising activities, and managing our fabulous volunteers.
If you are an experienced project manager, with some public relations and fundraising experience, as well as excellent communication skills, we want to talk to you! Imagine yourself as a leading member of the Library team engaging the community with interesting resources, programs, and fundraising activities to ensure Milanof-Schock Library remains a strong community asset.
PA Criminal Background Check, Childline Child Abuse Clearance, and FBI Criminal Background Check are required. Weekend and evening hours will be assigned.
Resumes needed by August 31, 2017. Interested parties should email their resume in a PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.