Manheim Township Public Library
Youth Services Manager (Full-time)
The Manheim Township Public Library is seeking a dynamic Youth Services Manager to manage all aspects of library services to youth in a bustling, suburban library. The person hired for this position will lead a department of highly motivated Youth Services staff and will provide the structure, training, and support necessary to ensure the delivery of quality services to children, teens, parents, caregivers, and teachers.
The Library is known for innovative and educational programming that is responsive to community needs and supports the Library’s mission. The Youth Services Manager is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating programs.
The Youth Services Manager oversees the provision of reference, reader’s advisory, and instructional services. The Manager must be familiar with current reference resources and technologies, and their application. Must be willing to incorporate new resources and emerging technologies on an ongoing basis.
The Youth Services Manager works with the Library’s Collection Development Manager to build Juvenile and YA Collections that are well rounded and relevant. The Youth Services Manager must be familiar with collection development philosophy and materials selection. Must keep apprised of trends in this area.
The Youth Services Manager conducts outreach to other community organizations that serve local youth and have missions that are similar or complementary to the Library’s mission. Must be adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively.
The full job description will be made available to candidates during the interview process.
- Master of Library Science degree from an American Library Association accredited institution.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check, and FBI fingerprint based federal criminal history check.
- Youth Services and Collection Development experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Flexible schedule, including weekend and evening hours.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a good driving record.
- Annual salary range: $45,000 – $55,000, exempt status.
- Generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance. Pension plan.
- Submit cover letter, resume, and three business references to Joyce Sands, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Manheim Township Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.
Adamstown Area Library
Youth Services Librarian/Assistant Director
Adamstown Area Library, in Adamstown Pennsylvania, is seeking an enthusiastic, forward-thinking and community oriented leader for a Youth Services Librarian and Assistant Library Director position.
The Youth Services Librarian provides comprehensive library services for children from birth through teen years, parents, caregivers, and the community organizations serving them. The successful candidate will bring a dedication to library programming to increase access to quality services to youth and their families; possess strong networking and collaborative skills; and have vision for programs that shape the future of our service area residents from birth through teen years.
The Assistant Library Director position fosters innovation and teamwork with staff members, fosters life-long learning, requires prior fundraising and grant writing experience, encourages and implements technological advances in the library, and assists the Director with various responsibilities as needed.
This position requires a Master of Library Science degree from an accredited American Library Association (ALA) Institution with supervisory experience in a library setting. Strong leadership and customer service skills, solid understanding of Pennsylvania Learning Standards and excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
Position is full-time. Some weekend and evening hours may be required. Please see attached job description for details.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Familiarity with children/teen literature, resources, and technology
- Collection Development, Collection Maintenance, and Cataloging
- Programs and outreach, including Summer Reading
- Liaison to school and community organizations
- Guide volunteers and other staff to support youth services activities
- Create displays and maintain children, family, and teen areas of library, to include creation of flyers, posters, bookmarks, and brochures in print and digital formats
- Regular circulation/reference service for patrons of all ages which includes greeting and directing patrons to appropriate resources, reader’s advisory, technology assistance, shelving and shelf-reading, checking in and out library material, registering patrons for library cards, opening/closing activities, and a focus on excellent customer service
- Performs other related duties as required
- MLS and library experience preferred
- Ability to work with the public, independently, and as part of a team with a pleasant and professional approach; strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong computer and other related technology skills, including Sierra Circulation, MS Office, WordPress, social media, and library databases/resources/software
- Youth planning experience; proven organizational and planning skills, including the ability to perform multiple tasks with frequent interruptions
- Be a partner to the local school district librarians to support, promote, and bring programs into the schools
- Support local teachers by scheduling events, planning story times, book talks, and supplying materials.
- Assist young patrons with reader advisory
- Travel for outreach, meetings, and training/workshops for Continuing Education credits
- Physical ability to bend, reach, lift (25+ lbs.), and stand for periods of time; the position requires frequent walking, sitting, crawling and kneeling
- Occasionally works the circulation desk to provide services to the general public
- Prepare displays and maintain a neat and orderly presentation of materials in the children’s area, as well as the JUV & YA fiction areas
- We are a Family Place library, and Family Place training would be required
- Assist all patrons with technology and library equipment as needed
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check, and FBI fingerprint based background check are required upon offer of employment.
Schedule: Position is full-time. Some weekend and evening hours may be required.
Salary: Compensation is based on experience.
Please send letter of interest, resume, salary requirement, and references by mail or email to:
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail.
Kathy Thren, Library Director
Adamstown Area Library
PO Box 356
Adamstown, PA 19501
Classification: Full time Exempt
Reports to: Library Board of Trustees
Salary: $40,000 – $45,000
The Board of Trustees of the Quarryville Library seeks a dynamic library director responsible for the library’s day-to-day operations including staffing, maintaining the collection, overseeing technology functions, and solving problems. The director represents the library to the community and collaborates with volunteers, patrons, and colleagues. The director carries out policies determined by the Quarryville Library Board of Trustees and implements the Board-approved Strategic Plan.
The Quarryville Library operates independently as a member of the Library System of Lancaster County and serves 37,000 residents in rural southern Lancaster County. Located near the small Borough of Quarryville at 357 Buck Road, Quarryville, PA 17566, the Library is a busy, growing hub that provides printed and technological resources and services to members of our diverse communities and to area businesses. In 2016, the Library hosted more than 101,000 visitors and circulated more than 164,000 items.
We seek a confident leader committed to promoting literacy, intellectual freedom, and equal access to information.
- Oversee the planning, organization, coordination, marketing, evaluation and direction of library services to meet changing community needs;
- Coordinate library technology functions with the Library System of Lancaster County IT staff; troubleshoot technology functions and recommend upgrades to the Quarryville Library Board of Trustees;
- Manage the facility and capital improvement projects effectively;
- Manage personnel including hiring and security checks, scheduling, supervision, evaluation, professional development, disciplinary actions, and enforcement of personnel policies;
- Work closely with the treasurer of the Quarryville Library Board of Trustees to prepare and execute the library budget and oversee the annual audit;
- Provide leadership and collaborate effectively with library volunteers, community service workers, and community groups;
- Work with the Board of Trustees and library committees in setting and achieving goals, evaluating library performance and effectiveness, creating policies and procedures, updating the strategic plan, and advising in relevant financial, operational, staffing, and facility matters;
- Prepare reports for Quarryville Library Board of Trustees, Library System of Lancaster County, and State Library of Pennsylvania;
- Represent the library at meetings and workshops, including but not limited to the Board of the Library System of Lancaster County, Board of Governors, Friends of the Library, Library Directors Council, and Quarryville Library Board of Trustees; cooperate with other libraries to improve library service in Lancaster County;
- Assist in coordinating fundraising and library development; pursue financial support on local, state, and national levels; write grant applications and administer grants;
- Manage adult programming; provide instruction for using the catalog, computer applications, technology, and resources as needed.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Comprehensive knowledge of public library operations, aims, and services
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet and interact with people easily, to motivate others, and to lead and work effectively as part of a team
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and their application to libraries
- Supervisory and management experience in library services or other non-profit settings.
- Planning – Anticipates future needs and proposes how to meet them
- Organizing – Prioritizes and manages all library functions
- Analyzing – Accurately assesses needs after securing and evaluating data
- Decision-making – Makes appropriate decisions and recommendations to Library Board of Trustees when Board action is needed
- Delegating – Assigns work to staff to maximum extent feasible
- Problem-solving – Identifies problems and takes appropriate actions
- Managing and supervising others – Effectively selects, utilizes and evaluates staff
- Soliciting and implementing ideas – Encourages new ideas and adopts and implements them
- Working with others – Establishes effective relationships with staff, volunteers, and patrons
- Communicating – Exchanges information openly, honestly, and effectively.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to email@example.com
Applications received by November 20, 2017, will receive full consideration. Position is open until filled. Questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Quarryville Library supports workplace diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All employees are required to obtain a Child Abuse History Clearance, Criminal Record Check, and FBI Clearance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.