What is the Brush Twice-A-Day Challenge?
The challenge is a 10-week initiative for Tots to Tweens and their caregivers beginning Monday, September 9, and lasts until Monday, December 9, 2019. Participation is completely voluntary. There’s no cost… and it’s free.
Why support the Brush Challenge? (AKA why are we doing this?)
Tooth decay is the most common childhood illness according to the CDC, but is easily prevented with daily brushing. Brushing removes the germs that cause bad breath and decay. Research on habit formation suggests it takes most people about 10 weeks to form new habits. This initiative is 10 weeks long so kids have the best chance to form a healthy habit that sticks. The most effective dental care is the preventive kind.
Children receive a Health Hero Starter Pack from the Library, and use one card per week to help remind them to brush their teeth, once in the morning and once at night. Children return cards to the Hank mailbox at the Library.
The Brush Challenge in 5 Easy Steps
- Get a Health Hero Starter Pack.
- Brush teeth twice a day.
- Scratch card each time you brush.
- Return cards to Hank’s mailbox.
- Receive prizes directly to your home!*
*Make sure to include your mailing address on the cards!
Story Time with Hank—Teeth!
Did Hank forget to brush his teeth? Join us for Story Time with Hank the Health Hero and find out! The lovable puppet Hank and his friend will be reading a special book all about teeth. After the story, you get to do a couple of activities all about teeth.
Storytime with Hank: Teeth!
- September 6th at 10:30 – Quarryville Library
- September 9th at 11:00 – Ephrata Public Library
- September 10th at 10:30 – Leola Public Library
- September 12th at 10:30 – Lititz Public Library
- September 16th at 10:45 – Manheim Township Public Library
- September 17that 10:45 – Manheim Township Public Library
- September 18th at 10:00 – Adamstown Area Library
- September 19th at 10:30 – Salisbury Township Branch Library
- September 23rd at 10:30 – Columbia Public Library
- September 24th at 10:30 – Lancaster Public Library
- September 25th at 10:30 – Moores Memorial Library
- September 26th at 10:30 – Elizabethtown Public Library
- September 30th at 10:30 – Mountville Branch Library
- October 2nd at 11:15 – Pequea Valley Public Library
Story Time with Hank –Food!
What happens if you give Hank a box of cookies? Is a cookie a healthy snack? Join us for Story Time with Hank the Health Hero and find out! The lovable puppet Hank and his friend will be reading a special book all about healthy habits. After the story, you get to make a craft to take home.
- September 4th at 10:30 – Moores Memorial Library
Hank’s Sense-sational Story Time! Hank the Health Hero helps you learn about your body as you look, listen, touch, and smell your way through one sense-sational day! Feel all the feels during Hank’s hands-on story time at your local library!
- September 11th at 10:30 – Moores Memorial Library
CHI St. Joseph Children’s Health is a Lancaster-based, non-profit improving the health of children and families within the Lancaster Community. For 10 years CHI ran a program called Brush.Brush.Smile!®
CHI St. Joseph Children’s Health supports the Library System’s mission in showing the public at large that Public Libraries have a greater purpose in the community, supporting the health and well-being of Lancaster residents with our successful collaboration.