The Adamstown Area Library was founded in the mid-1940s by the Adamstown Woman’s Club. The initial collection was approximately 100 books. In 1954, the library moved into 400 square feet of space in the basement of the Adamstown YMCA. In 1988, it became evident to the Woman’s Club that growth in the area and increased library usage warranted hiring their first library staff person. In February 1990, the Adamstown Woman’s Club founded the Friends of the Adamstown Library in an effort to raise funds for the library. Also in the early 1990s, the Lancaster County Library System established geographical areas to be served by specific library locations. This became the basis for the allocation of state, county and municipal funds for the library. A further change occurred in 1995 as Adamstown became a member library of the Library System of Lancaster County. It was at that time the library established a Board of Trustees to act in a fiduciary capacity and to ensure ownership of the library was in the hands of the Board of Trustees and the local boroughs and municipalities it served.