Public Libraries throughout Lancaster County will hold their 19th annual Mitten Tree Campaign beginning on Monday, November 19. Librarians from the county’s public libraries, in the spirit of holiday giving, will be collecting new mittens, gloves, hats, scarves, earmuffs and umbrellas that will benefit children & families in need living in Lancaster County. Several of the public libraries in Lancaster County will participate in this year’s project. Items will also be collected on the Bookmobile.
Donations may be made from Monday, November 19 – Friday, December 14, 2018.
The Mitten Tree project has been hugely successful during the past eighteen years. Each year the project has netted between 4000-5000 donations, many of which are hand-knitted items! Distribution of the donations will benefit children and families in churches and service agencies located in local library communities.
Amy M. Campbell, Children & Youth Director of Quality Assurance, said of the project, “Lancaster County Children and Youth is blessed to be in a community that cares about others. The Mitten Tree project reaches many of the families we serve, meeting a need that some may take for granted–warmth. Families come into our office for assistance and are able to leave with hats, gloves and scarfs to fend off the harsh temperatures of winter. All thanks to the generosity of the Mitten Tree Project.”
Individuals interested in participating should bring new, unwrapped mittens, gloves, hats, scarves, umbrellas and earmuffs to any of the public library locations during their hours of operation. Call your local public library at the following locations [see list below].
Lancaster County’s Public Libraries
Participating in the Mitten Tree Project 2018
- Adamstown Area Library- 3000 North Reading Road Adamstown
- Columbia Public Library – 24 South 6th Street, Columbia
- Eastern Lancaster County Library -11 Chestnut Derive, New Holland
- Elizabethtown Public Library – 10 South Market Street, Elizabethtown
- Ephrata Public Library – 550 South Reading Road, Ephrata
- Lancaster Public Library – 125 South Duke Street, Lancaster
- LPL East – Leola Branch – 46 Hillcrest Road, Leola
- LPL West – Mountville Branch – 120 College Avenue, Mountville
- Lititz Public Library – 651 Kissel Hill Road, Lititz
- Manheim Community Library – 15 East high Street, Manheim
- Manheim Township Public Library – 595 Granite Run Drive, Lancaster
- Milanof-Schock Library – 1184 Anderson Ferry Road, Mount Joy
- Moores Memorial Library – 9 West Slokum Avenue, Christiana
- Pequea Valley Public Library – 13 Center Street, Intercourse
- Quarryville Library – 357 Buck Hill Road, Quarryville
- Salisbury Township Branch Library – 855 Houston Run Drive, Suite 220, Gap
# # #