Public Libraries in Lancaster County honored staff, trustees and volunteers who have provided outstanding service to their public library during their 2016 Annual Meeting at the Manheim Township Public Library. Library officials, public library directors, board members and interested citizens were in attendance. The Annual Meeting is held in April each year as it marks the installation of Officers who serve on the Library System’s Board of Directors. The annual event is also an opportunity to honor those who have exemplified excellence in serving their community’s library — either as staff, trustees or volunteers.
The following people were honored at the event:
Service Award Recipients ~ 2016
- Staff member, Samuel Franklin Edmond – presented by Lisa Greybill, Director, Columbia Public Library
- Staff member, Maribeth McMullen – presented by Cheri Crow, Director, Quarryville Public Library
- Staff member, Becky Hynicka – presented by Ed Miller, Bookmobile
- Board of Trustees Treasurer, Mike Ireland – presented by Heather Smith, Director, New Holland Library
- Youth Services Manager, Mary Anne Stanley – presented by Adrienne Miller, Board President, Manheim Township Library
- Volunteer Arlan Landis – presented by Sharon Heaney, Lead Circulation Assistant, Adamstown Area Library
- Board President (2014 & 2015), Kim Beach – presented by Barbara J. Basile, Director, Milanof-Schock Library
- Volunteer Kambriea Lassak – presented by Margie Perella, Director, Pequea Valley Library
- Board of Trustees Treasurer, Barb Horst – presented by Connie Kelly, Circulation Desk Manager, Manheim Community Library
- George Dillio – Ephrata Public Library Board President
- Karen Haley Fields – LPL Board Treasurer – presented by Heather Sharpe
Special Service Award Recipient
A special Service Award was presented to Terry L. Kauffman, Library Trustee of the Library System of Lancaster County who is stepping down as a member of the Board.
Terry Kauffman has been committed to public service in Lancaster County for more than two decades. He has served on Planning Commission task forces and on a myriad of other organizations throughout the community. He also served as a Lancaster County Commissioner from 1991-1999. Kauffman also possesses a broad knowledge of how Lancaster County operates and along with his extensive service as a volunteer throughout the Lancaster non-profit community; he has proven to be an effective leader for libraries.
The Lancaster County Board of Commissioners appointed him to serve on the Library System’s Board of Directors from 2000- 2003 and again in 2011, a post that he held until this month when he stepped down from serving on the Board. He has offered a rich historical perspective on how public libraries have evolved during the past 30 years. He is one of the Library System’s most valuable human assets.
He also served on the Lancaster County Public Library Task Force (2009 – 2010) that was formed to assess the state of library services in the county. His extensive knowledge of libraries in the county coupled with his commitment to keep the public libraries viable has been noteworthy. Kauffman is currently Vice President of Business Development for the ARRO Group.
# # #